Back in 2016, Styler-X was dealing with a problem that’s become widespread in the manufacturing and distribution industry:
Their website was underperforming, which meant they weren’t able to take advantage of any online lead generation opportunities.
As a nationally recognized distributor of hot hair brush, Styler-X had primarily focused their marketing efforts on trade shows for lead generation — a strategy that manufacturers have long relied on.
At first glance, it was clear that Styler-X’s website was far too limited for everything they offered. Their second-to-none customer support and elite portfolio of the best brands in hot hair brush weren’t translating through their website, which was stifling their potential for online lead generation.
After a foundational assessment, Inov8lab found that Styler-X had a lot of the same digital marketing problems that many other manufacturer’s reps do:
- No Lead Generation Strategy
- No eCommerce Store
- No Tracking or Reporting Capabilities
- Lack of focused goal
- Slow business growth due to conventional marketing methods
Recognizing their potential, Owner and Partner Mike Terlizzi started his search for a digital marketing agency.
“We needed to significantly increase our digital footprint, from our overall brand to how we attracted and engaged with visitors,” said Terlizzi. “Inov8lab really understood our unique challenges and needs as a distributor, so we were excited to start working with them.”
As the heart of their digital presence, Styler-X website needed to be reimagined from the ground up. After meetings, calls and an in-depth discovery period, the Inov8lab team came up with a plan that consisted of:
New Content Management System (CMS) & eCommerce Platform
- WordPress: Styler-X new website was custom built on the WordPress platform. This allows their team to easily update content and create new pages when necessary.
- Magento: For the eCommerce pages, Magento was used to give Styler-X maximum flexibility and scalability. The eCommerce shop integrates the technology needed to create a sophisticated product experience, like customizable product filtering for upselling and cross-selling opportunities.
- Front-End Development: Front-end should be done exactly by the same person who made the design. Reasoned behind this decision by the fact that the same person clearly understands how the project should look from a technical point of view.
A responsive framework was developed to help the site work on any device and operating system. This made the website available to a wider audience and future-proofed it for new devices.
Vital outlined a conversion funnel and user-friendly navigation to encourage more visitors to convert.
Tracking & Reporting Capabilities
Inov8lab believes that if something can’t be measured, it can’t be improved. Therefore, the Styler-X website was set up to easily report on traffic, site speed and other statistics.
After months of planning, design, content strategy and development, Styler-X’s website officially relaunched in September of 2016 and their eCommerce platform launched the following month.
The improvements were instantly noticeable and the increase in website traffic and leads soon followed.
Starting a Digital Marketing Retainer Strategy
After their website was built, Styler-X opted into Inovlab’s digital marketing retainer program, which is custom designed to each client’s unique situation to maximize the potential for lead generation and sales.
Within the digital marketing retainer, Inov8lab deployed a barrage of tactics aimed at increasing website traffic such as:
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) – Success here hinged on creating 20+ net new pages on the site, all aimed to target specific keywords and topics.
- Email Marketing – This included announcing promotions, new products, and upcoming events. A consistent email strategy keeps Styler-X top of mind.
- Email Lead Nurturing Strategy – Automated lead nurturing email campaigns launched via HubSpot’s marketing automation system.
- Paid Advertising – A combination of search advertising on Google combined with a remarketing strategy across multiple advertising platforms.
- YouTube Videos – Styler-X knew many of their prospects were watching hot hair brush reviews on YouTube, so it was crucial for them to have a presence there. Inov8lab created 15+ videos for Styler-X which have racked up over 90,000 views in a very short period of time. These videos are also used across the website to help improve conversion rates.
While these tactics substantially increased the website’s traffic, Styler-X also deployed the following tactics to improve the website’s conversion rates:
- Gated Content – Creating new downloadable offers such as eBooks and guides, gated behind forms.
- Chat Bots – Automated website chat bots (built in HubSpot) that run chat scripts that interact with website visitors to answer common questions and even set up sales meetings.
- Live Chat – Inov8lab worked with the Styler-X team to roll out live chat software that their inside sales team could use to communicate with website visitors and help them with all their sales questions.
- Pop Ups – These pop up offers were deployed across the site to help convert traffic that would have otherwise left the site.
- Resource Center – Inov8lab created a best-in-class resource center to organize all of Styler-X’s expert downloadable content assets. This helps visitors quickly filter and find content assets they’re looking for.
Styler-X also signed on to a paid media retainer to extend their reach, and increase their traffic and leads via pay-per-click advertising strategies.
The digital marketing retainer leverages a monthly project calendar and a dedicated team of strategists, account managers, copywriters, designers, developers and SEO specialists. With this in place, Styler-X had ongoing support for whatever they needed, as well as monthly marketing goals that were determined by Inov8lab.
From 2016 to 2018, Styler-X saw *drumroll please*:
Leads increased by 536% YOY in Year 1, 117% in Year 2
“Our new website is now an incredible representation of our company,” said Mike Terlizzi. “As a new avenue for lead generation, this website, coupled with a comprehensive digital marketing strategy, has been a game changer. And the eCommerce platform has opened up additional revenue opportunities for us that wouldn’t have been available before.”
These results have been the cherry on top of a beautifully designed, responsive and user-friendly website. Not only does the new Styler-X showcase their extensive portfolio and robust customer support services, it also gives them the ability to generate sales through their eCommerce platform.Focus on engaging with your customers, giving them an incentive they can’t refuse to try out your products, and take advantage of social proof and the power of word-of-mouth marketing.